Clarification regarding Form No 10AC :
Form 10AC is a document used in India for the purpose of application of registration of a charitable or religious trust or institution under section 12A of the Income Tax Act, 1961. Section 12A of the Income Tax Act provides for the exemption of income of charitable or religious trusts or institutions if certain conditions are fulfilled.
Process involving form 10AC:
1. Eligibility Check: Ensure that your trust or institution qualifies for registration under section 12A of the Income Tax Act. Typically, this involves being engaged in genuine charitable or religious activities and not operating for the benefit of any particular individual or group.
2. Prepare Documentation: Gather all the necessary documents required for the application, including:
Trust deed or instrument of the institution.
Copies of registration certificate, if any (like under the Societies Registration Act or Indian Trusts Act).
Details of trustees or members, including their PAN (Permanent Account Number).
Copies of audited financial statements and balance sheet.
Any other documents as required by the Income Tax Department.
3. Fill Out Form 10AC: Obtain Form 10AC from the Income Tax Department or their official website. Fill out the form accurately and completely, providing all the required information.
4. Submission of Form 10AC: Submit the filled-out Form 10AC along with the necessary documents to the designated office of the Income Tax Department. Ensure that all documents are properly attested and authenticated.
5. Follow-up and Compliance: After submitting the form, follow up with the Income Tax Department to inquire about the status of your application. Be prepared to address any queries or requests for additional information from the tax authorities.
6. Compliance with Regulations: Once registered, ensure that your trust or institution complies with all applicable regulations and requirements imposed by the Income Tax Department for maintaining tax-exempt status. This may include filing annual returns, maintaining proper accounting records, and adhering to any restrictions on the use of funds.
7. Renewal and Reporting: Pay attention to renewal requirements, if any, for maintaining tax-exempt status. Additionally, be aware of reporting obligations such as submitting annual reports or financial statements to the Income Tax Department.
Conditions subject to which registration is being granted under 10AC :
The registration granted under Section 12A of the Income Tax Act, 1961, is subject to certain conditions. When a charitable or religious trust or institution applies for registration using Form 10AC, the Income Tax Department evaluates the application based on these conditions. Here are some of the common conditions subject to which registration may be granted:
- Genuine Charitable or Religious Activities: The trust or institution must be genuinely engaged in charitable or religious activities. These activities should be the primary purpose of the organization, and they should benefit the general public or a significant section of the public.
- Non-Profit Orientation: The institution should operate on a non-profit basis, meaning its income and assets should be applied solely towards promoting the charitable or religious objectives and not for the benefit of any individual or entity.
- Compliance with Laws and Regulations: The trust or institution must comply with all relevant laws and regulations governing charitable or religious organizations. This includes maintaining proper accounting records, filing annual returns, and adhering to any reporting requirements imposed by the Income Tax Department.
- Maintenance of Books of Accounts: The trust or institution is required to maintain books of accounts reflecting a true and correct view of its financial affairs. These accounts should be audited by a qualified auditor and submitted to the Income Tax Department as per the prescribed timelines.
- Utilization of Funds: Funds received by the trust or institution should be utilized solely for the purposes specified in its objectives. Any deviation from the stated objectives may lead to the withdrawal of tax-exempt status.
- Change in Activities: If there are any changes in the activities or objectives of the trust or institution, it should promptly inform the Income Tax Department. Changes may require a review of the registration status and compliance with updated requirements.
- Revocation of Registration: The Income Tax Department reserves the right to revoke the registration granted under Section 12A if it finds that the trust or institution has violated any of the conditions or provisions of the Income Tax Act.
Here’s why Form No. 10AC is important:
Form 10AC holds significant importance in the context of charitable and religious institutions seeking tax-exempt status under Section 12A of the Income Tax Act, 1961, in India. Here’s why Form No. 10AC is important:
- Application for Registration: Form 10AC serves as the formal application for registration under Section 12A of the Income Tax Act. It is submitted by charitable and religious trusts or institutions to the Income Tax Department to seek exemption from income tax on their income derived from charitable or religious activities.
- Verification of Eligibility: Through Form 10AC, the Income Tax Department assesses the eligibility of the trust or institution for tax-exempt status. It verifies whether the activities of the organization align with the criteria outlined in Section 12A, such as genuine charitable or religious purposes and non-profit orientation.
- Documentation of Compliance: By submitting Form 10AC, the trust or institution provides documentation of its compliance with legal and regulatory requirements. This includes furnishing details of its trustees or members, submitting the trust deed or instrument, and providing audited financial statements.
- Granting of Tax Exemption: Upon satisfactory review of the application and compliance with the conditions stipulated under Section 12A, the Income Tax Department issues an order granting registration to the trust or institution. Form 10AC serves as the official document confirming the registration and tax-exempt status.
- Validity and Renewal: The registration granted through Form 10AC is typically valid indefinitely unless revoked by the Income Tax Department. However, trusts and institutions are required to comply with reporting and renewal requirements to maintain their tax-exempt status, which may involve periodic submissions of documents and financial statements.
- Facilitation of Financial Transactions: Having registration under Section 12A and possessing Form 10AC facilitates financial transactions for the trust or institution. It enables donors to avail of tax benefits for their contributions and enhances the organization’s credibility and transparency in the eyes of donors and stakeholders.
- Legal Compliance and Governance: Form 10AC underscores the importance of legal compliance and governance in the operations of charitable and religious institutions. It ensures that these organizations adhere to prescribed standards of transparency, accountability, and financial management.
How to download the form from site
To download the Order for Registration (Form 10AC), following are the general steps:
- Visit the Income Tax Department’s Website: Go to the official website of the Income Tax Department of India. The website URL is https://www.incometaxindia.gov.in/.
- Navigate to the Forms Section: Look for a section or tab labelled “Forms” on the homepage or in the main menu of the website. Click on it to access the forms section.
- Search for Form 10AC: In the forms section, there should be a search bar or a list of forms organized by categories. Use the search functionality or browse through the categories to find Form 10AC.
- Download Form 10AC: Once you locate Form 10AC, there should be an option to download it. Typically, you’ll find a link or button labeled “Download” or “PDF” next to the form.
- Save the Form: Click on the download link/button to save the Form 10AC to your computer or device. Make sure to choose a location where you can easily find the downloaded file.
- Verify the Downloaded Form: After downloading the form, double-check to ensure that it is indeed Form 10AC and that it has been downloaded correctly without any errors.
- Fill Out the Form: Open the downloaded Form 10AC using a PDF reader or editing software. Fill out the form accurately and completely with the required information.
- Submit the Form: After filling out the form, print it if necessary, and submit it along with any supporting documents to the designated office of the Income Tax Department as per the instructions provided on the form or the department’s website.
If you have any doubt regarding this, then you can send your doubts on companysuggestion and our team of experts will guide you.